Frequently Asked Questions (Orangeville Minor Hockey)

PrintFrequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

When does registration commence for the hockey season?

Registration will open April 1st.  Check the OMH (Orangeville Minor Hockey) website for details and News Articles announcing when Registration is open.


Is there a family discount?

Yes. 3 Players or more qualify for a 10% discount to be applied when registering.  This is for the players base registration ONLY.

Can I postdate my cheque?
Any player wishing to tryout for Rep Hockey in the spring must have their base registration submitted to the office prior to stepping on the ice.  If paying with cheques one cheque or 4 post dated cheques are acceptable as well as credit card payment, e-transfer or cash.  House league registrations can as well submit payment as listed above.

Can I register in person?

OMH and the OMHA requires everyone to register online.   

How do I know my registration is confirmed?

When you submit your registration through the Hockey Canada Registry, you will receive an Invoice number.  It is recommended you print this page and keep it for your records. If you have entered a valid email address (and your computer security settings allow cookies) during registration, you should also receive an email confirmation.


How do I get a receipt for income tax purposes?

Once your payment has been received you should receive a receipt via email from Hockey Canada.  If you did not receive an emailed tax receipt or have lost it, you can retrieve it by logging into the Hockey Canada site where you registered online for the current season.  A link can be found on under Registration on the main website menu.  Please avoid contacting the Registrar for receipts.


When will I be contacted as to what house league team my child is on?

Everyone should be contacted by end of September regarding on-ice evaluations for House League.  If you have not been contacted by September 20th, please email your child’s name, age and your phone number to the Registrar.  Please do not email prior to September 20.

What levels of hockey are available?

The levels of hockey are as follows:

1.         Representative (Rep): Divisions at OMH are Tier 1 & Tier 2  Novice - Midget

2.         Tier 3 (Minor Development) Atom - Midget

3.         House League


When are Rep and MD tryouts?

Rep and MD try-outs typically start in mid April.  A schedule will be posted on the OMH website closer to that date.  Players must be registered and payment for basic registration must be received prior to trying out.

How do I register for tryouts?

Follow the link at the top menu bar for Tryout Registration.

When does the hockey season start?

House league hockey usually starts the end of September.  Rep Hockey starts the beginning of September. 


When will my child play?

House league registrants usually play on the weekends - one game per week and have one practice (Minor Tyke and above).  Midget/Juvenile house league only have one game per week.   Schedules will be posted on the OMH website.  Each team has their own webpage on the OMH site, accessible throughout the year.  You can also subscribe to the calendar to autofill your own personal calendar on your home computer or mobile device.


Can I specify a certain coach that I want my child to play for?

Unfortunately, with a registration base of over 1000 participants it has become impossible to accommodate special requests.  Coaches are responsible for drafting their own teams. Therefore, if you are coaching you can ensure your own child is on your team.


Can I request that my child play with his friend for car pooling purposes?

Again, it is impossible to accommodate special requests.  Once the first week of hockey has been played and it is unworkable for you to get your child to the arena, a request in writing can be given to the League Convenor and they will try to accommodate your situation.  If you can not be accommodated, you can request a refund.

My child wants to be a full time goalie - does he/she get to play a full game each week?

Normally we have more children requesting to play goal than there are teams for - most teams have at least 2 goalies.  When numbers exceed 2 per team they are taken on first come first serve basis.


What documentation do I need if I want to coach or trainer?

All coaches and trainers staff must have completed the Respect in Sport-Activity Leader. 

Gender Identity and Expressions Training - Understanding Discrimination based on Gender Identity and Gender Expression Training for Team Officials - MANDATORY for ALL BENCH STAFF prior to rostering and obtaining an APPROVED OMHA ROSTER for the upcoming season. All BENCH (Coach, Trainer, Assistant Coach/Trainer & Managers - also all on ice helpers) ALL House League bench staff will need to complete as well.  Coaches are required to attend a Coach 1 (Initiation, Minor Tyke & Tyke) or Coach 2 (Novice - Midget) clinic normally held during the fall.  Trainers must take an online Trainers Certificate course. More information can be found on the OMHA site.


Also, the OMHA requires a Criminal Reference Check (Vulnerable Sector Scan/Police Check) which can be obtained through your local police station. Please contact the office for a letter regarding volunteering for the next season. CRC LETTER REQUEST


Where can I sign up to be a coach or trainer? 

Coaching applications can be filled in our website.  For House League, go to the House League Home or Coaches Resources page.  Rep applications are solicited usually early in the new year for the following season.  Trainers are usually picked by the head coaches but we are always looking for volunteers and trainers at large. 


Is there a league specifically for girls?

Yes there is.  Click Orangeville Tigers for more information.

Where can I get a permission to skate form for the Halton Hurricanes AAA team?

April 1st, 2019 the Ontario Minor Hockey will release the permission to skate for Halton AAA.  More information and link for the Permission to Skate form can be found under Forms and Documents and then Player Forms. .


What if my address has changed?

Please complete the following form  LINK  If you have moved from a different town to Orangeville and your child has played hockey with the Ontario Minor Hockey Association in previous years then a residential transfer needs to be completed by our office.  If you are moving to us from the G.T.H.L. or Alliance then please contact your centre for instruction.


Can I be reimbursed fees?
Basic registration fees for any player who, for any reason, ceases to play in the OMHA prior to season start, will upon application, be reimbursed full fees paid minus a $35.00 administration fee.  Refunds between the start of the season and November 30, 2019 will be pro-rated to the amount of ice times regardless of how many times the player has been on the ice and minus the $35.00 administration fee.

No refunds are given after November 30 2019

What equipment does my child require?
Click Ontario Hockey Federation required equipment to see a list of what your child requires.  Also, mouth guards are required by the OMHA.  If you and your child are new to hockey and unsure on what/how the equipment should fit, please see the video at the end of the web page from the OMHA Trainer Resources.  

NOTE: OMH supplies socks and jersey's for all House League players.  Rep and MD jersey's and socks are either purchased by the team or sponsored.


[email protected]

Social Networking
Follow Us On
Follow Orangeville Minor Hockey on Twitter
Manage Subscriptions
Signup to receive email or text messages for the teams you want to follow.
Printed from on Tuesday, July 27, 2021 at 1:20 AM